Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Redundancy

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 458

Replies 1

hi

I am taking redundancy, which is voluntary, I am 65, I have been informed by my pay office that I don't pay tax on this amount as it is under $200k for ETP, everything I read says it should be taxed at 17.5% , is this correct that tax is not applied in this instance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sarahjane231153

Welcome to our Community!

There are a number of factors to consider when working out how much tax is to be withheld from a redundancy or ETP payment and we don't know all the details to be able to provide a definite answer. 

If you're receiving an ETP because of a genuine redundancy and early retirement, payments are tax free up to a limit based on the employee's years of service. The ETP cap amount for the 2018–19 income year is $205,000 and is indexed annually. 

If you have more information about your ETP payment, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to discuss in more detail with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sarahjane231153

Welcome to our Community!

There are a number of factors to consider when working out how much tax is to be withheld from a redundancy or ETP payment and we don't know all the details to be able to provide a definite answer. 

If you're receiving an ETP because of a genuine redundancy and early retirement, payments are tax free up to a limit based on the employee's years of service. The ETP cap amount for the 2018–19 income year is $205,000 and is indexed annually. 

If you have more information about your ETP payment, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to discuss in more detail with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH.