ATO Community

STP

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1303

Replies 4

Don’t know if it’s just me but this new impost seems like the last straw for our small farming business. With one part time assistant whose earnings are below the threshold and 2 or 3 casuals who help out a bit at various times I feel the sights could have been aimed a fair bit higher and minuscule businesses left in peace to report quarterly as they’ve done, religiously for many years.

Anyway got a deferral for the first quarter and have signed up for MYOB Essentials spending many hours getting it all set up with employee and business data. What a minefield! Is all the software on offer as obscure and tortuous?But hopefully all that’s behind me now and I’ll be able to begin from the next pay period which fortunately for me will be the end of the month.

However now that I’m almost there I’m wondering how I might report the last quarter and at least obviate the necessity of separate Wage Reports and Summaries at the end of the financial year.

So after that long preamble, is it possible from an ATO perspective to backdate payments when there has been a Transitional Deferral, can that be done as a summary for the three pay periods concerned and from an MYOB Essentials perspective, has anyone found a way of doing it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @GRrrr,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such a frustrating experience with STP!

If you're looking to report your year to date payments under Single Touch Payroll, this is definitely possible depending on the capabilities of your software. There are several different options and you should speak to your digital services provider about which one to use. It looks like MYOB have their own online community where you may be able to find additional assistance about how to transition to STP reporting part way through the year.

Once all of your year to date figures have been migrated to STP, then you shouldn't need to issue any payment summaries at the end of this financial year.

I hope this is helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @GRrrr,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such a frustrating experience with STP!

If you're looking to report your year to date payments under Single Touch Payroll, this is definitely possible depending on the capabilities of your software. There are several different options and you should speak to your digital services provider about which one to use. It looks like MYOB have their own online community where you may be able to find additional assistance about how to transition to STP reporting part way through the year.

Once all of your year to date figures have been migrated to STP, then you shouldn't need to issue any payment summaries at the end of this financial year.

I hope this is helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Replies 2

Thank you Rachel, that was most helpful and thanks also for your understanding. What with advancing years, low technology skills and trying to manage the worst drought in memory I have found STP really difficult.

I will persist as you suggest with the software but that’s proving to be frustrating as well. I signed up with MYOB Essentials because I already use a very old version of their accounting software but perhaps that was the wrong call. All I want is to be able to report my monthly figures. I don’t need calculations or any of the other services embedded and hope I’ll find a way to avoid the complications and duplication confronting me at present.

So far I haven’t found any information about my particular issue on the Essentials support website and have also been unsuccessful in making contact. Not everyone has the time to sit on the phone listening to mindless music and useless suggestions in daylight hours!!

Guess I’m stuck with it and I’ll work it out somehow. Thanks again for your help.

GRrrr

Newbie Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 1

Hi Grrrr

The best option is to upgrade your software (most likely to a cloud version) and it's all most likely integrated. I deal only with Reckon but I'm sure MYOB should have a Cloud version with STP all integrated into it.  It's easier in the long run as I've found with people using older Reckon programs.  I've got all my Clients sorted now.

The next problem for me is the fact that ATO doesn't 'GET' that some farms only employ casuals very occasionally ... like for 3 to 6 days once a year in our case.

Community Moderator

Replies 0

HI @Sparkle,

Thanks for those great options for @GRrrr. We have given you some information to help with your situation on your other posts.

Thanks

KylieS