ATO Community

Self-education expenses for non-residents

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1198

Replies 3

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on a 482 VISA and would like to please confirm if I would be eligible for a self-education expense claim. I've found an excellent distance learning course through Charles Sturt University that would allow me to complete a Graduate Certificate and Masters Degree, but at a cost of around $24000. 

I'm residing in NSW and I'm in the process of transitioning my 482 VISA to a 186 VISA which includes PR privileges. 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

Self-education expenses are claimed against tax that you have paid working in a role where there is a direct nexus between job and the self-education.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

Self-education expenses are claimed against tax that you have paid working in a role where there is a direct nexus between job and the self-education.

Replies 1

Thanks for your response. Would I, as a non-resident, be eligible to lodge a claim for self-education expenses? I currently do not hold a degree and the degree I'm interested in is 100% in line with my current role and future aspirations. I'm hoping that by obtaining this degree (a graduate cert that leads to a masters degree), that I will qualify for a senior management role.

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JohnS82,

Welcome to our Community.

As @macfanboy advised there needs to be a direct connection between your job and the self-education.  You can find further information on our website about education and study and there is also a self-education expenses calculator available on our website.

Hope this helps you, SueO