Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Shareholding as investor or share trading as business?

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 903

Replies 1

Hi

My question is specifically in relation to my tax status as either a share trader or investor. 

Could someone please advise if my share trading qualifies as either a share trader or investor?. 

In the last FY, I conducted 169 share transactions: 83 buying and 86 selling. The average buying transaction involved 23,000 shares and the average cost was $4,697. The average selling transaction involved 20,000 shares and the average selling price was $4,327. All the transactions were conducted through IG broker online trading. The average time that I held shares before selling them was a week. 

From March 2019 I switched my trading account to IG CFD trading account; Trade using leverage and went to short the stock.  I have also been using ProRealTime - Technical analysis & trading software for technical analysis.

At the end, this trading activity culminated to loss of around $7000.

Thanks and Regards,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

From your activity it would appear that you will be classified as a "Trader":

Have a read of this:

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gains-tax/Shares,-units-and-similar-investments/Shareholding-...

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

From your activity it would appear that you will be classified as a "Trader":

Have a read of this:

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gains-tax/Shares,-units-and-similar-investments/Shareholding-...