Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Tax Refunds

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1261

Replies 3

If you have a number of overdue tax returns, are you still able to claim refunds from previous years? If so, how far back are you able to claim refunds, before it's too late?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jwrig,

As @macfanboy has explained there is no time limit, it is important you bring your lodgements up to date as soon as possible to reduce the risk of a failure to lodge on time penalty.

You can refer to our website for options to lodge prior year tax returns and access prior years tax return forms.

If you have further questions, phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak to a customer service representative. You'll need to answer some security questions for the customer service representative to access your account, so have some additional information when you when you call.

I hope this helps, SueO

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 2

As long as you have all the information then there is no time limit.

Have personally done 19 years worth at one time for a client.

Replies 1

I see. If I understand you correctly, I can lodge tax returns for an indefinite number of years. Does that mean that, using your example, I could receive a refund from 19 years ago? Or would the ATO only pay out refunds for a limited number of years?

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jwrig,

As @macfanboy has explained there is no time limit, it is important you bring your lodgements up to date as soon as possible to reduce the risk of a failure to lodge on time penalty.

You can refer to our website for options to lodge prior year tax returns and access prior years tax return forms.

If you have further questions, phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak to a customer service representative. You'll need to answer some security questions for the customer service representative to access your account, so have some additional information when you when you call.

I hope this helps, SueO