Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Tax free threshold

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 689

Replies 2

Hi, Just needing abit of help moved iver here last year and started work i ticked the tax free threshold. When i got my refund last year i had only earnt 8k i thought the other 10k would kick over and id get the tax back i paid on that amount but its not showing its showing me i get a payment of 533dr and the effective date is friday the 13th could that still change or is that it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Ad1

Welcome to Community! @macfanboy is right - you'll need to establish your residency for tax purposes and then advise us how many months you were eligible for the tax free threshold in your return. 

Residency for tax purposes is different to residency for immigration or social security purposes. We've made it easier for you to work your residency status out by uploading two calculators over on our website. 

If you're a resident for part of the tax year, we'll calculate your tax free threshold based on the number of months you were in Australia. You provide this information in the Adjustments field in myTax under Part-year tax free threshold

As you've already lodged your tax return, you may need to provide updated information to us as an amendment. Our Knowledge Base article Tax Time 2018: What do I do if I made a mistake on my tax return? has information to help you get your amendment right. 

Hope that helps!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Tax free threshold is based on number of months.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Tax-free-threshold-for-newcomers-to-Australia/

2018/

Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Ad1

Welcome to Community! @macfanboy is right - you'll need to establish your residency for tax purposes and then advise us how many months you were eligible for the tax free threshold in your return. 

Residency for tax purposes is different to residency for immigration or social security purposes. We've made it easier for you to work your residency status out by uploading two calculators over on our website. 

If you're a resident for part of the tax year, we'll calculate your tax free threshold based on the number of months you were in Australia. You provide this information in the Adjustments field in myTax under Part-year tax free threshold

As you've already lodged your tax return, you may need to provide updated information to us as an amendment. Our Knowledge Base article Tax Time 2018: What do I do if I made a mistake on my tax return? has information to help you get your amendment right. 

Hope that helps!