Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Tax rate from my paycheck

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 877

Replies 2

Hi I was in Australia for 2 years under working holiday visa and after a few years I came back on a partner visa. I am working causal at the moment and I am being taxed about 30% every paycheck. I am sure when I filled out the tax form when I started the job I ticked the box for Australia resident. Can anyone tell me why is it the case? I called up ATO and didn't get a clear answer. I have also asked my employer side hopefully they can give me a answer or change it to the correct rate. My yearly income is under 45k. Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @rachelkairi,

You employer should be able to explain why they are withholding tax at that rate. As @macfanboy suggested you may not have ticked the box to claim the tax free threshold. If that is the case, you can fill out a new withholding declaration form  to get that fixed up and when you do your tax return you will get any money back if you have had too much tax withheld at the end of the year.

Hope this helps! Thanks @NateATO

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Did you tick the box "Tax -Free Threshold" ?

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @rachelkairi,

You employer should be able to explain why they are withholding tax at that rate. As @macfanboy suggested you may not have ticked the box to claim the tax free threshold. If that is the case, you can fill out a new withholding declaration form  to get that fixed up and when you do your tax return you will get any money back if you have had too much tax withheld at the end of the year.

Hope this helps! Thanks @NateATO