Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Travel allowance

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 832

Replies 1

I work for a not for profit and travel to see clients in their homes as my job using my own car. I am paid a travel allowance of 78c per km for travel between client homes which appears each week on my payslip. This is split into 10 cents per km under the heading ‘Km Taxable’ and the remaining allowance of 68 cents per km is paid under the heading ‘Non-Taxable Allowances’. I have kept a logbook via the ATO app for the entire financial year. My question is an i allowed to claim any portion of this mileage (2927km in total) through my tax return or would that be classed as double dipping? Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Lloyd34

Welcome to our community and your first post.

Normally if you have received properly documented allowances on a payslip and the expenses you seek to claim are greater than that allowed by the allowance you can choose to declare the income and in turn claim the deductions with supporting receipts available. See Deductions you can claim. Look under Car Expenses and Calculating your deductions

You can then choose whatever method advantages you the most. Cents per kilometre method verses Log Book. However I suspect you may be referring to a reimbursement covered by a Fringe Benefit Tax which would mean the employee cannot claim a deduction for the expense.See Allowances and reimbursements. That may be worthy of clarification. Hopefully this will answer your question but if not come back to us with further detail.

Thanks for your query they are always appreciated.
Kind regards
MarkA

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Lloyd34

Welcome to our community and your first post.

Normally if you have received properly documented allowances on a payslip and the expenses you seek to claim are greater than that allowed by the allowance you can choose to declare the income and in turn claim the deductions with supporting receipts available. See Deductions you can claim. Look under Car Expenses and Calculating your deductions

You can then choose whatever method advantages you the most. Cents per kilometre method verses Log Book. However I suspect you may be referring to a reimbursement covered by a Fringe Benefit Tax which would mean the employee cannot claim a deduction for the expense.See Allowances and reimbursements. That may be worthy of clarification. Hopefully this will answer your question but if not come back to us with further detail.

Thanks for your query they are always appreciated.
Kind regards
MarkA