Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Travel from temporary accommodation to work place.

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 959

Replies 3

Hi,

I live in Brisbane but I work in construction in Grafton, NSW.

Monday to Friday I stay in company provided accommodation in Grafton.

Until not long ago I was using company provided vehicle to travel between my accommodation and work site.

Recently I have swapped my company provided vehicle for Tool Of Trade allowance, and now I am using my own vehicle for work.

I started using logbook to log KM and car expenses. My question is: is travel between my accommodation in Grafton and work site Private travel or is it a Business travel? My car is a dual-cab ute.

Regards,

Marian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@Marian 

Unless you are transporting heavy/bulky work tools to/from worksite each day with no secure lock-up it is not deductible.

https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/IND/Downloads/car-expenses.pdf

Also, is the load-carrying capacity  less than 1 tonne?

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@Marian 

Unless you are transporting heavy/bulky work tools to/from worksite each day with no secure lock-up it is not deductible.

https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/IND/Downloads/car-expenses.pdf

Also, is the load-carrying capacity  less than 1 tonne?

Replies 1

Thanks @macfanboy ,

Payload of my Ford Ranger is 954kg.

As per the travel,

Say my company is sending me to a different motel every week, or different accomodation (house rented by the company). Is the drive from motel to site still a private travel?

I used to stay at the work camps in the middle of QLD, surely a drive from the camp to the mine can't be clasified as a private travel?

Taxicorn

Replies 0

If you are carrying heavy/bulky work tools to/from work then all of the travel is deductible.

If not then it may be claimable if it is considered to be itinerant work