ATO Community

WPN and STP

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 832

Replies 1

Dear ATO

I am about to employee a private nanny in my home. As I don't have an ABN I registered for a WPN with the ATO over the phone.

1. The ATO staff member told me my WPN was the same as my TFN. Is this correct or will I be issued with a WPN? 

2. Is there any STP software that is compatible with a WPN or do you have to have an ABN for STP software?

Regards

Julia

QLD 4121

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @juliakate,

Thanks for your questions Julia!

1. The WPN is a unique identification number that is attached to your TFN, but they are not the same. If your WPN registration was completed correctly, then you should be issued with a letter containing your WPN shortly.

2. If you hold a WPN then you are exempt from STP reporting until 1 July 2020. If you do not want to report through Single Touch Payroll until that date, then you don't need to apply or advise us, as long as you keep records to support your decision.

If you would like to report through Single Touch Payroll before that date then you can look at our list of no-cost and low-cost solutions for Single Touch Payroll. We cannot recommend any particular product but you may find something suitable on that list. Because you have a WPN, you will likely need to get software that uses a sending service provider (SSP) to transmit the data, so make sure you check this with your chosen digital services provider.

I hope this was helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @juliakate,

Thanks for your questions Julia!

1. The WPN is a unique identification number that is attached to your TFN, but they are not the same. If your WPN registration was completed correctly, then you should be issued with a letter containing your WPN shortly.

2. If you hold a WPN then you are exempt from STP reporting until 1 July 2020. If you do not want to report through Single Touch Payroll until that date, then you don't need to apply or advise us, as long as you keep records to support your decision.

If you would like to report through Single Touch Payroll before that date then you can look at our list of no-cost and low-cost solutions for Single Touch Payroll. We cannot recommend any particular product but you may find something suitable on that list. Because you have a WPN, you will likely need to get software that uses a sending service provider (SSP) to transmit the data, so make sure you check this with your chosen digital services provider.

I hope this was helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.