ATO Community

What happens to my super? Foreign resident leaving Australia with intention to return

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 712

Replies 1

Hi there,
I lived in Australia on a temporary visa for 9 years, however my visa expired a few months ago and I left the country with my Australian partner then. I intend to return to Australia on a permanent partner visa in a year or two. I’ve understood that my super would be transferred to ATO if not claimed within 6 months of leaving the country. I don’t want to claim my super back as I intend to return to Australia on a permanent basis. Will I get my super back from the ATO when I return, or will I lose the money if I don’t claim it back in 6 months?
Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

From ATO web page

If we're holding ATO-held super for you, use our online services to nominate the eligible super fund you would like to transfer the money to. This is the quickest way to transfer any ATO-held super to your preferred fund. To do this you'll need a myGov account linked to the ATO.

To link the ATO to your myGov account:

• link your myGov account to the ATO
  • select Super
  • you can then find and choose to transfer your super.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

From ATO web page

If we're holding ATO-held super for you, use our online services to nominate the eligible super fund you would like to transfer the money to. This is the quickest way to transfer any ATO-held super to your preferred fund. To do this you'll need a myGov account linked to the ATO.

To link the ATO to your myGov account:

• link your myGov account to the ATO
  • select Super
  • you can then find and choose to transfer your super.