ATO Community

Withdrawing same year contributions were made

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 774

Replies 1

Hi all, 

Am I able to withdraw personal contributions in the same financial year they were made and still claim the deduction on my FY2020 tax return? 

Cheers, 

dottyfrog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @dottyfrog

Thanks for your question.

The short answer is yes. You can claim a personal super contribution deduction for a contribution that was made and withdrawn in the same financial year due to a first home super saver (FHSS) release request. You just need to ensure that you meet the FHSS scheme rules and the personal super contribution deduction rules.

This is actually a question that has come up a few times in our Community. The long answer to your question can be found in the following thread. We strongly recommend that you check it out.

Can I claim a tax deduction for a voluntary contribution after it has been withdrawn?

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @dottyfrog

Thanks for your question.

The short answer is yes. You can claim a personal super contribution deduction for a contribution that was made and withdrawn in the same financial year due to a first home super saver (FHSS) release request. You just need to ensure that you meet the FHSS scheme rules and the personal super contribution deduction rules.

This is actually a question that has come up a few times in our Community. The long answer to your question can be found in the following thread. We strongly recommend that you check it out.

Can I claim a tax deduction for a voluntary contribution after it has been withdrawn?

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR