Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Worked as an Accountant and want to claim for the Money I paid for my MBA

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 590

Replies 1

Hey good people,

For the 2018-19 FY I have worked as an Accountant for a GOVT Department in WA in the corporate operations team. I also wanted to get my MBA done. I have done and paid for 3 units for my MBA and they are- 

1. Managing people and organisations

2. Marketing leadership

3. Fundamentals of value creation in Business (Finance/Accounting unit) 

While  I understand that I definitely cannot claim for the Marketing unit (2) as it not my field of work. I was wondering if I can claim for 1 & 3 unit fees I have paid? 

Thank you in advance 

FAHIM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @fahim,

Welcome to our Community!

As we don't know the exact duties you take and the exact content of the course we can't give a definitive answer but we can help you make the decision.

Self-education expenses are deductible when the course you undertake leads to a formal qualification and meets the following conditions.

The course must have a sufficient connection to your current work activities as an employee and:

• maintain or improve the specific skills or knowledge you require in your current work activities
  • result in, or is likely to result in, an increase in your income from your current work activities.

Those are the criteria above and you would need to be able to explain how they are met by the courses you are doing. If you are still not sure you can always seek advice from us by contacting our early engagement team.

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @fahim,

Welcome to our Community!

As we don't know the exact duties you take and the exact content of the course we can't give a definitive answer but we can help you make the decision.

Self-education expenses are deductible when the course you undertake leads to a formal qualification and meets the following conditions.

The course must have a sufficient connection to your current work activities as an employee and:

• maintain or improve the specific skills or knowledge you require in your current work activities
  • result in, or is likely to result in, an increase in your income from your current work activities.

Those are the criteria above and you would need to be able to explain how they are met by the courses you are doing. If you are still not sure you can always seek advice from us by contacting our early engagement team.

Thanks, NateH