ATO Community

Working from home, flights to office

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 828

Replies 1

Hi, I work full time from my home office for a company based interstate. My employer requires me to spend a week in the office every couple of months. So I fly from my home to the office. They do not reimburse me for any expenses.

Am I able to claim the cost of the flights as a deduction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @bingo,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, you would be able to claim the cost of flights as a deduction if the expense directly relates to you earning your income, you weren't reimbursed and you have a record to prove it.

If the expense is for both private and work purposes, you'll need to apportion the expense. It's also a good idea to keep a travel diary for your records but you only need to do so for evidence if you spend more than six nights or more in a row away.

If you have further queries regarding your situation, you can contact us to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @bingo,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, you would be able to claim the cost of flights as a deduction if the expense directly relates to you earning your income, you weren't reimbursed and you have a record to prove it.

If the expense is for both private and work purposes, you'll need to apportion the expense. It's also a good idea to keep a travel diary for your records but you only need to do so for evidence if you spend more than six nights or more in a row away.

If you have further queries regarding your situation, you can contact us to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH