Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

centrelink debt

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 2313

Replies 5

I have lodged my tax return, was told that the refund would be today.

The money wasn’t in my account, only to find that it has been put forward to my Centrelink debt.

I was relying on this return, why wasn’t I notified this would happen.

I’m devastated and stuffed now.

Can this be returned to me or I have no choice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @cooper

Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

We're required by law to offset any refund you may be entitled to and repay amounts you owe to other Government departments before we can issue it to you. This information is available on our website.

We'll send a letter to let you know if we need to offset a refund, but it may take a few days for you to receive this information via post. This may be why you didn't receive the notification before the refund was issued.

If you are experiencing financial hardship, it's best to contact Centrelink directly and explain your situation to find out what options might be available.

Thanks, @AmandaE

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 4

You should have been asked if you had a centrelink debt.

By law they have to use your refund to pay any outstanding debts.

You probably can't do anything except call centrelink and ask????

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

They always take your tax return when you have a centrelink or tax debt. I was overpaid in my 2015 tax return and last year when I did my taxes they noticed the error. I was not contacted until I received my assessment notice which had taken the money back. I too was devistated as I had something important to pay. I was told there was nothing I could do even though the error was no fault of mine. I really think you should be spoken to before they take your refund.
Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

when you have a centrelink or tax debt. I was overpaid in my 2015 tax return and last year when I did my taxes they noticed the error. I was not contacted until I received my assessment notice which had taken the money back. I too was devistated as I had something important to pay. I was told there was nothing I could do even though the error was no fault of mine. I really think you should be spoken to before they take your refund.
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @cooper

Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

We're required by law to offset any refund you may be entitled to and repay amounts you owe to other Government departments before we can issue it to you. This information is available on our website.

We'll send a letter to let you know if we need to offset a refund, but it may take a few days for you to receive this information via post. This may be why you didn't receive the notification before the refund was issued.

If you are experiencing financial hardship, it's best to contact Centrelink directly and explain your situation to find out what options might be available.

Thanks, @AmandaE

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thank you @Amanda, if you could let me know if its possible to get any back that would be greatly appreciated.
I've contacted centrelink but they didnt seem to be any help
Regards Tammy