Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

personal work insurance

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 1011

Replies 3

Hi

I was hoping for some advice on my question. My problem is that I ve been offered a job at St Vincent De Paul, one hour per week.

As I wont wont be earning enough to get a ABN, do I need to pay for my own "on the job" personal work cover/insurance, or am I covered by public liability cover of Vinnies isurance.

They have told me that even though I dont need a ABN, I am considered as some type of contractor or sub-contracter to them & not a employee.

Can some one please advise me about personal  insurance, as all the info I haven gotten so far, is conflicking or confusing.

Thanks very much for your help.

Jacky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Jacky,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, to find out if you are covered by an employer's insurance policy, you'd need to check with them directly. You can find some very helpful information on business.gov.au about how insurance works and different types of insurance.

To determine if you're entitled to an ABN, it depends more on the nature of your business and the type of activities you are doing and not how much you earn. To help work out if you're an employee or contractor you can find useful information including a decision tool on our website. If you find you do wish to apply for an ABN, there is great information on entitlements and how to apply and the Australian Business Register website.

If you have further questions or wish to speak to someone about your employment, you can call 13 28 66 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Replies 2

I just thought I should add this, its cleaning a couple of offices

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Jacky,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, to find out if you are covered by an employer's insurance policy, you'd need to check with them directly. You can find some very helpful information on business.gov.au about how insurance works and different types of insurance.

To determine if you're entitled to an ABN, it depends more on the nature of your business and the type of activities you are doing and not how much you earn. To help work out if you're an employee or contractor you can find useful information including a decision tool on our website. If you find you do wish to apply for an ABN, there is great information on entitlements and how to apply and the Australian Business Register website.

If you have further questions or wish to speak to someone about your employment, you can call 13 28 66 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi

I have'nt had to check through the links, that where provided for me, yet. But I just wanted to say a big thankyou, to all that viewed my query & helped me.

This is the first time I feel I have good advice, I am feeling much more comfortable now, with how to proceed. I would hate to lose a job, over what should be a reasonable straight forward situation.

So, again, thank you all & I will let u all know the outcome & it may help some one else in the future.

Regards

Jacky