Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Deeming of Income

I'm new

Views 295

Replies 1

I want to transfer my super from a self managed super fund to QSuper, where I already have an accumulation account .  My question is regarding Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.  My current super pension account was opened before 2011 and therefore income is not counted for eligibility for the above card.  If I now open a new pension account, will the income from that be deemed or will the total amount of pension be included.  That would mean I might lose my Health Care Card.  I am not eligible for any old aged pension. 

Would you please help me, as losing my Health Care Card would disadvantage me considerably.

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi leonemcn

This is a question for Services Australia rather than for the ATO, given that it's how Service Australia's rules work in relation to deemed earnings on financial assets.

However, I googled. It seems there was a change in 2015, and super pension accounts started after then would be included in the deemed earnings calculation.

I strongly suspect that if you transfer your money over to QSuper that a deemed earnings amount would then be calculated on your total QSuper balance. Deeming rate on financial assets you hold above $53,000 is currently 2.25%. So for every $100,000 you transfer, $2,250 will be the deemed income amount on it.

I suggest contacting Services Australia and confirming that that's the case.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi leonemcn

This is a question for Services Australia rather than for the ATO, given that it's how Service Australia's rules work in relation to deemed earnings on financial assets.

However, I googled. It seems there was a change in 2015, and super pension accounts started after then would be included in the deemed earnings calculation.

I strongly suspect that if you transfer your money over to QSuper that a deemed earnings amount would then be calculated on your total QSuper balance. Deeming rate on financial assets you hold above $53,000 is currently 2.25%. So for every $100,000 you transfer, $2,250 will be the deemed income amount on it.

I suggest contacting Services Australia and confirming that that's the case.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here