Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Transferring Pension from the UK

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 423

Replies 2

Hi

I have some questions about transferring my UK pension back to Australia.

I worked in the UK for 4 years and accumulated a pension there.

I moved home to Australia 8 years ago and left my pension in the UK. It has almost doubled in value in that time (from GBP22,000 to GBP40,000).

I now want to transfer my pension into my Australian super fund.

As I understand it, if:

- the UK tax office considers the Australian fund a QROPS (Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme) and

- the ATO considers the UK pension fund an FSF (Foreign Superannuation Fund) and

- the UK pension is transferred directly into the Australian fund and

- some other conditions, like my age being under 65

then the transfer can be tax free apart from the growth in the value of the pension since I left (GBP18,000) in this case, which would be taxed at 15%.

My questions are:

- is the above is correct?

- where can I find details of the rules around transferring from a Foreign Superannuation Fund?

- is there a list of approved Foreign Superannuation Funds that I can check to see if my fund qualifies?

- if not, how can I find out if my fund qualifies (it is Friends Life (No.6) Personal Pension Plan with Aviva)?

Thanks very much,

Ned Mules

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nedmules,

Welcome to our Community!

Further to the rules @macfanboy have provided, you can also find helpful information about tax on transfers from foreign super funds on our website, which directs you to a list of recognised overseas pensions schemes.

The funds listed have advised HMRC that they meet the conditions to be a recognised overseas pension scheme. If your fund isn't listed, you can contact them directly to see if they qualify.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 1

Rules here

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nedmules,

Welcome to our Community!

Further to the rules @macfanboy have provided, you can also find helpful information about tax on transfers from foreign super funds on our website, which directs you to a list of recognised overseas pensions schemes.

The funds listed have advised HMRC that they meet the conditions to be a recognised overseas pension scheme. If your fund isn't listed, you can contact them directly to see if they qualify.

Thanks, JodieH.