Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Re: Capital Gain Tax on Property Sale in New Zealand

Views 28

Replies 1

Hi, I have a property in NZ. I was living in it from 2014 -2017 when I moved to Australia.

I then put it up for rent while I lived and worked in Australia. 

I currently hold the NZ Citizenship and I am in australia under the Temporary Resident - Special Category visa (subclass 444) (SCV). 

I want to sell the property in NZ and purchase a property in Australia from any capital gains. 

Will I need to pay Capital gains Tax on any Capital I gain from the sale considering I am on a Temporary Resident Visa in Australia? 

Please advise. 

Thank you in advance Smiley Happy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@RickySharma 

If you are a non-resident, then there is no tax payable in Australia on your rental income or on any gain on sale of your New Zealand property.

The situation is the same if you are an Australian resident that is a “temporary resident”.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@RickySharma 

If you are a non-resident, then there is no tax payable in Australia on your rental income or on any gain on sale of your New Zealand property.

The situation is the same if you are an Australian resident that is a “temporary resident”.