ATO Community

Capital improvements and repairs etc...

Ask a question

Views 109

Replies 2

Hi

Haven't been here for a while... its good to be back.

Say... I have started renting out my house last FY year.

Years before  I did I replaced the fence, added rooftop solar hot water, replaced some external doors etc.

Are all these Capital improvements or are they different because I put them in when i was an owner occupier? ( did not think would end up renting it at the time)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @ Coffee_respilt

Your welcome here anytime Coffee_respilt, good to see you in our community.

The suggestion for a Quantity Surveyor may prove useful. This link though should help you get going as to whats claimable. Alternatively there are some short video presentations on the subject as well.

The other two must haves for a Rental Owner is our Rental Guide and Guide to depreciating assets. Try saving them in a PDF format and using Control F function on the keyboard to search. It makes finding key words very easy in the document.

Hope this helps

Happy renting (:
MarkA

2 REPLIES 2

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

@Coffee_respilt 

I would be speaking to a Quantity Surveyor.

Duncan Smith

Best answer

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @ Coffee_respilt

Your welcome here anytime Coffee_respilt, good to see you in our community.

The suggestion for a Quantity Surveyor may prove useful. This link though should help you get going as to whats claimable. Alternatively there are some short video presentations on the subject as well.

The other two must haves for a Rental Owner is our Rental Guide and Guide to depreciating assets. Try saving them in a PDF format and using Control F function on the keyboard to search. It makes finding key words very easy in the document.

Hope this helps

Happy renting (:
MarkA

Top Solution Authors