Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Claiming repairs

Views 56

Replies 1

Good morning,

I had a quote done in late June on some repairs to be done on my roof (leak after rain).  The work was started last financial year but not yet fully completed and I haven't yet received the final invoice, but have a fixed price quote so the amount is set.

Can I claim this in FY 20/21 seeing as though it began in June 21?  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Tom__86,

Yes you can. 

Deductions are claimable in the finical year you incurred the expense. You incurred an expense in the 2020–21 financial year if you received an invoice for an expense that you were liable for even in if you paid it after the 30/06/2021. 

Information on when you incurred an expense can be found in Taxation Ruling TR 97/7

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Tom__86,

Yes you can. 

Deductions are claimable in the finical year you incurred the expense. You incurred an expense in the 2020–21 financial year if you received an invoice for an expense that you were liable for even in if you paid it after the 30/06/2021. 

Information on when you incurred an expense can be found in Taxation Ruling TR 97/7