Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Re: Co-owner a property with my mom, can i claim expense on my part as investment property?

Views 390

Replies 2

Hello everyone,

I am co-owning a property with mom, mom owns 80% - paid off and mine is 20% on loan. Mom lives in the property and i am renting, not living with her. My question is whether i can claim my portion as investment property since i dont live there? 

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Superuser

Replies 1

It sounds like you may be eligible to claim certain expenses for your portion of the investment property if you're intending gain from capital appreciation (or rental income)
2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Superuser

Replies 1

It sounds like you may be eligible to claim certain expenses for your portion of the investment property if you're intending gain from capital appreciation (or rental income)

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @thuychoi

Thanks for your post.

@Fluxpavillion is correct. From what you've advised, it sounds like you may be able to claim some expenses. For more information, have a look at the property section of our website. The expenses you can claim will depend on your situation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Chris