ATO Community

Commercial rental property claiming travel to inspect expenses.

Ask a question

Views 2226

Replies 3

Post 2017 Budget.  I know you can no longer claim travel expenses to inspect etc on residental properties but can you still claim if it is a commercial property?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Replies 0

Yes you can Smiley Happy

You can claim travel expenses, if you're a:

- Corporate tax entity,
- Superannuation plan that is not a self-managed superannuation fund,
- Public unit trust,
- Managed investment trust,
- Unit trust or a partnership, all of the members of which are entities of a type listed above.

OR

If you're an Individual with a Commercial investment property.

OR

For Overseas travel, if you are an Australian resident and own a rental property overseas.

ATO Reference: www.ato.gov.au/General/Property/Residential-rental-properties/Rental-properties-and-travel-expenses/

Last modified: 14 Jun 2019
QC 22093
3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 0

Dear Suzzie.

I think you may have a point here.

As information in relations to the 2017 budget does specifically refer to residential and it does not mention commercial propertied.

Especially when the changes were made to specifically assist housing affordability in Australia and not commercial lease/ purchase affordability.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi Suzzie,

Welcome to our Community!

An exposure draft on this legislation has only just been released.  You can access this through the Treasury web site at https://treasury.gov.au/ConsultationsandReviews/Consultations/2017/Housing-Tax-Integrity .

The exposure draft specifically mentions residential rental properties only.  To date, there is no indication that there will be changes to deductions available for travel expenses to inspect a commercial property.

Thanks.

Best answer

Replies 0

Yes you can Smiley Happy

You can claim travel expenses, if you're a:

- Corporate tax entity,
- Superannuation plan that is not a self-managed superannuation fund,
- Public unit trust,
- Managed investment trust,
- Unit trust or a partnership, all of the members of which are entities of a type listed above.

OR

If you're an Individual with a Commercial investment property.

OR

For Overseas travel, if you are an Australian resident and own a rental property overseas.

ATO Reference: www.ato.gov.au/General/Property/Residential-rental-properties/Rental-properties-and-travel-expenses/

Last modified: 14 Jun 2019
QC 22093
Top Solution Authors