Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Eligibility for prepayment deductions

Views 70

Replies 1

Hi there,

I am trying to understand the eligibility of claiming prepaid costs for an investment property beyond the examples on the ATO website. Can I pay a property cost prior to being invoiced so I am in credit next FY?

As an example we get charged council rates quarterly (~$320/qtr). Can I pay the next 4 quarters before June 30? If so what evidence is needed to support this - is the payment & receipt sufficient or is an invoice for the amount required?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kfall,

I really appreciate the research you've done.

In the example you've provided, you'll be able to claim the deduction.  It falls under the 12-month rule.

Keep the receipt as proof of payment as per keeping business records requirements.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kfall,

I really appreciate the research you've done.

In the example you've provided, you'll be able to claim the deduction.  It falls under the 12-month rule.

Keep the receipt as proof of payment as per keeping business records requirements.