Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Investment property construction stage

Highlighted

Views 392

Replies 1

We started building an investment property in March 2019 and it will finish being built in September 2019. I know the laws have changed on 1 July 2019 and you can longer claim Interest on loans used to pay for construction of investment properties  but can I claim for the interest I have paid on the loan prior to July 1 2019. 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You can claim expenditure such as interest on loans, local council, water and sewerage rates, land taxes and emergency services levies on land you have purchased to build a rental property or incurred during renovations to a property you intend to rent out.

See Rental Properties 2019. Page 9, This is relevant for 2018/19.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You can claim expenditure such as interest on loans, local council, water and sewerage rates, land taxes and emergency services levies on land you have purchased to build a rental property or incurred during renovations to a property you intend to rent out.

See Rental Properties 2019. Page 9, This is relevant for 2018/19.