Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Helping intellectually disabled persons with tax returns

Highlighted

Views 111

Replies 2

I manage an Australian Disability Enterprise and my employees all have intellectual disabilities. They are all paid what is called a supported wage which means they are paid an hourly rate less than the minimum wage based on an assessment of their capacity by a government appointed independent assesor. Very few of my employees work a full working week so the combination of the hours they work and their wage rate means that very few of them ever had to put in a tax return. However, for the past three months they received Job Keeper and therefore $192 / fortnight was kept in tax. As a result if they complete a tax return this year they would expect approximately $1200. The issue most of my employees have is that they have never filled a tax return and most would not have the capacity to fill one even if they tried. They also have no concept on MyTax or even going online. A number of them have gone to me to try and help them fill out a tax return but I feel it would be a conflict of interest. Is there a service available to help out a team of 70 to 80 persons fill out simple tax turns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @ADE 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We have a service called Tax Help. Tax Help is a community based program sponsored by the ATO and is availabe between 1 August and 31 October each year. Tax Help is free and is provided by a network of community volunteers who assist people on a low income to prepare their:

- tax return

- application for refund of franking credits

- non-lodgment advice and

- online amendments

Tax help centres are based in  community centres, libraries, MP's offices and other locations. They are not located in ATO shopfronts.

Tax Help volunteers (THV) prepare and lodge returns and forms online on behalf on Tax Help clients. Clients are ideally registered with myGov, however the AAP (Alternate Access Process) is available for clients who do not have a myGov account, and that may require a THV Access Code to be issued.

The service is specifically aimed to help:

- seniors

- retirees

- people who have disabilities

- people from non-English speaking backgrounds

- people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent

- people on a low income

Volunteers can also help with:

- prior year returns

- refunds of franking credits

- managed funds, provided the client supplies itemised statements

All clients must be screened for eligibility for tax help before being referred. Refer to our webpage Tax Help Program for further information and to book an appointment(s).

All the best

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @ADE 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We have a service called Tax Help. Tax Help is a community based program sponsored by the ATO and is availabe between 1 August and 31 October each year. Tax Help is free and is provided by a network of community volunteers who assist people on a low income to prepare their:

- tax return

- application for refund of franking credits

- non-lodgment advice and

- online amendments

Tax help centres are based in  community centres, libraries, MP's offices and other locations. They are not located in ATO shopfronts.

Tax Help volunteers (THV) prepare and lodge returns and forms online on behalf on Tax Help clients. Clients are ideally registered with myGov, however the AAP (Alternate Access Process) is available for clients who do not have a myGov account, and that may require a THV Access Code to be issued.

The service is specifically aimed to help:

- seniors

- retirees

- people who have disabilities

- people from non-English speaking backgrounds

- people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent

- people on a low income

Volunteers can also help with:

- prior year returns

- refunds of franking credits

- managed funds, provided the client supplies itemised statements

All clients must be screened for eligibility for tax help before being referred. Refer to our webpage Tax Help Program for further information and to book an appointment(s).

All the best

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thank you Tracey