Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

1 female dog had a litter. Personally never considered a business have no ABN never claimed.

Views 123

Replies 4

Thank you for your help.... I have completed the online questionnaire and it said it was unable to ascertain whether I would need to declare or not. My female dog had a litter of pups very costly exercise. I have never looked at it as a business. But legally I am part of an association to have them registered as pure breds. My profit after expenses would be 10k approximately. Do I have to declare this and if so would I be better off applying for an ABN and claiming expenses? Thank you so so much I don't want to do the wrong thing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hiya @LWoodward,

It depends on if you are operating a business, or if this is just a hobby that incidentally generated income. We have some information on our website which looks at figuring out if you are in business. There is another page as well that outlines the difference between a business and a hobby.

Ultimately it is self-assessed. If you are in business, you will need to register for an ABN and declare your income. You will also be able to claim expenses as deductions.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hiya @LWoodward,

It depends on if you are operating a business, or if this is just a hobby that incidentally generated income. We have some information on our website which looks at figuring out if you are in business. There is another page as well that outlines the difference between a business and a hobby.

Ultimately it is self-assessed. If you are in business, you will need to register for an ABN and declare your income. You will also be able to claim expenses as deductions.

Replies 0

Thank

Thank you Steph, I have already been on the ATO website and google and did the ATO quiz which said 'sorry we are unable to determine if its a business or hobby' I suspect this is due to the fact I belong to the Master Breeders Association Australia and It meant I had to answer yes to one of the questions... is there a $$ amount of profit the ATO uses to help ascertain if someone should declare or not? 

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @LWoodward

You will need to self-assess and you should consider your intention and if you operate in a business-like manner to determine if you're a business or not.

There isn't dollar value that determines this and nor would being part of the master breeders association. I believe in some states, registering as a breeder is mandatory even if your pet dog has an unplanned litter.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Ari

Replies 0

Thank you Ari... no i definitely have never considered it a business! I've never claimed tax or kept receipts or even considered what I have spent and happen to make back. Its genuinely for the love the experience and bettering the breed. Legally I had to register to the association to have a litter or I could be fined by the RSPCA.