Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Apple smartwatch used by a hospital doctor, purchased only to see notifications for workday duties.

I'm new

Views 4686

Replies 1

Dear ATO community,

I am starting work as a hospital doctor in January and wanted to know a question about my entitlement to claim deprecitation for an asset which would solely be for performing my daily duties as a doctor.

I want to purchase an apple watch for the sole purpose of receiving notifications from other doctors/allied health/patients/investigation reports/responding to different wards to see emergency patients as it is certainly not always appropriate to answer my phone while interacting and seeing patients.

I would not use this watch outside of normal work hours.

Looking at the deductions guide on the ATO website it seems that I am entited to claim this deduction as this a "special characteristics which I use for work" (see quote below from ATO website) however I am wondering how I would calculate the effective life of this item? I am estimating that the watch would have an effective life of two or three years but is there any special formula which I should consider?

"

Watches and timepieces

You can't claim a deduction for the cost of purchasing and repairing an ordinary wristwatch, including waterproof watches. However, if your watch has special characteristics which you use for work or if you have a **bleep** watch or stopwatch, you can claim a deduction for a decline in value (depreciation).

"

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @starkles,

We have had a very similar question answered here before which supports what you have written here.

As your Apple watch is not on any of the depreciation schedules on our website you would need to

estimate the effective life yourself.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @starkles,

We have had a very similar question answered here before which supports what you have written here.

As your Apple watch is not on any of the depreciation schedules on our website you would need to

estimate the effective life yourself.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks, NateH