Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Applied for Jobseeker now have Centrelink debt

Highlighted

Views 476

Replies 1

I haven’t had to deal with Centrelink for approximately 5 years until I applied for Job seeker in March. Within a week of being approved I’ve had an influx of debt notices generated April 2020 for debts dating back to 2013, 2014, 2015 financial years for family tax and school bonus to almost $5000. My tax is and always has been done by my accountant yet I have not seen or knew of any monies owning before now. If monies were owning wouldn’t my tax return been impacted over the years mentioned? I find it bizarre that neither myself or my accountant were made aware of this situation earlier. Any advice on how this situation occurred would be beneficial as my Centrelink relationship was always at the end of each financial year, post tax lodgement.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kjohns,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Once you lodge your tax return the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) is determined in relation to your income. If you have a spouse their income for each financial year (FY) will also be taken into account. There is usually a balancing adjustment. If your income was lower then what you estimated you would get a further amount of FTB. If your income was higher then what you estimated then you would have an amount to pay.

You would need to enquire with Centrelink via Services Australia in relation to your debt and why it has arisen now. We can give you information about your Income tax account with ATO if you require it at some point.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Jodie2.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kjohns,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Once you lodge your tax return the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) is determined in relation to your income. If you have a spouse their income for each financial year (FY) will also be taken into account. There is usually a balancing adjustment. If your income was lower then what you estimated you would get a further amount of FTB. If your income was higher then what you estimated then you would have an amount to pay.

You would need to enquire with Centrelink via Services Australia in relation to your debt and why it has arisen now. We can give you information about your Income tax account with ATO if you require it at some point.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Jodie2.