Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Are noise cancelling headphones deductible?

Views 643

Replies 3

Hi, I've had a look on the website but can't really get a definite answer for my situation.

I have recently purchased Jabra office headphones, as recently my work role has changed and I am now having to use headsets for majority of the day and the ones my employer offer aren't comfortable for me. I only use them for work and they don't leave the office. 

As I had to pay for them 100% out of pocket, would I be able to claim the expense as a deduction in my next return?

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @TC98 ,

If you are using these headphones to help you in your job eg perform work duties in usual way, and solely used at work (100% for work), I couldnt see why you couldnt claim these as work equipment. If these are used for private use eg through your personal mobile, then you would have to subtract your private use %. Check out Deductions you can claim for more details.

If the headphones cost more than $300, you may have to consider depreciating them (see Capital allowances).

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 1

@TC98sounds like you need to use them for work so they are claimable. A couple of things to consider -you need to look at what method you are using to claim your deductions for working from home during covid and their cost. There is some information here that might help.

https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/Tax/What-can-I-claim-when-working-from-home/ta-p/85896

Replies 0

Thanks for your reply and help @mrsquiggle  Smiley Happy

I wonder if it would apply to myself also. The role change has been brought on due to COVID, but we aren't working from home as our office is in WA and in a remote town with no cases, so no restrictions to going into the workplace have been placed. 

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @TC98 ,

If you are using these headphones to help you in your job eg perform work duties in usual way, and solely used at work (100% for work), I couldnt see why you couldnt claim these as work equipment. If these are used for private use eg through your personal mobile, then you would have to subtract your private use %. Check out Deductions you can claim for more details.

If the headphones cost more than $300, you may have to consider depreciating them (see Capital allowances).