Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

CPA Fees deductable?

I'm new

Views 1092

Replies 1

HI,

I am working in accounting field. 

Q1. I paid CPA membership fee $325, enrolled subject fee $1140 and the subject realated training fee $99 before 30 Jun 2020, and I put all of them under the "work related self-educaiton deduction", but I am wondering why the total deductable amout is $1314 calculated by ATO, not the sum amount $1564. 

Q2. There is an explanation about the Self-study deduction"https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Occupation-and-industry-specific-...",

but I am also wondering why the amount needs to reduce by $250?

Can you plese help?

Many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @aliceshizhe,

Thanks for posting.

There are five categories of self-education expenses. As all of your deductions are related to tuition fees, they fall under 'category A' of self-education expenses, and for this particular category, the first $250 is non-deductable.

There are situations where this amount can potentially be offset by other expenses you've incurred.

In your calculations above, the total deductable amount of $1314 is based on your category A items of $1564 after the $250 non-deductible amount has been subtracted.

If you check out the links above, you might find out if you've incurred other costs that may entitle you to offset that non-deductable amount.

All the best!

RachATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @aliceshizhe,

Thanks for posting.

There are five categories of self-education expenses. As all of your deductions are related to tuition fees, they fall under 'category A' of self-education expenses, and for this particular category, the first $250 is non-deductable.

There are situations where this amount can potentially be offset by other expenses you've incurred.

In your calculations above, the total deductable amount of $1314 is based on your category A items of $1564 after the $250 non-deductible amount has been subtracted.

If you check out the links above, you might find out if you've incurred other costs that may entitle you to offset that non-deductable amount.

All the best!

RachATO