Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Calculating work/personal proportions of an unlimited broadband plan for home office expenses

Highlighted

Views 1495

Replies 6

Hi ATO,

I have an unlimited data broadband plan that doesn't provide me with any information on my data usage.

Given that I needed the high-speed and unlimited data for my home office, can I claim the full cost for home office expenses?

Alternatively, do I need to make an estimate of the amount of personal use of the internet (which could only be a stab in the dark) and proportion it accordingly?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @HomeWorkingMan,

Thanks for getting in touch!

You've been provided some helpful information - we've answered a similar question about calculating internet usage data on our Community before. You can find information provided in the link here.

Thanks, JodieH.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 5

How many people are living in the same house?

How many devices are being used; phones, tablets, laptops, gaming consoles, smart tv etc?

You generally need to keep a record of how much you are using the internet for for a set period of time, say 4 weeks and then work out a daily /monthly %. This all really depends on the answers to my first two questions.

Highlighted

Replies 4

There's two adults and some kids using a variety of devices (say 10 at a guess).

I'm struggling to figure out how it would be possible to keep a record of usage given that, for internet, it is not really a measure of time, but a measure of data usage.

Perhaps a conservative proportioning would be acceptable. 50/50 work to personal given that, in reality, it would have been closer to 80/20.

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 2

The best way that i can think of is record hours used per day and per week.

From that work out the % per month

eg

8 hours per day x 3 days = 24 hours

24 hours per day x 7 days = 168 hours

% per week = 24/168 = 14.28% per week

now if interent costs $70 per month that is $16.15 per week

so 14.28% x $16.15 x number of weeks worked at home during the year.

It doesn't seem like much but I can't think of any other way.

You are paing $x per month wether it gets used or not.

You are using only for x hours per week. 

I know that intenet usage is being looked at very closly this year as most people who use it for a few hours per week mainly checking emails are trying to claim the bulk of it back.

As long as you can demonstrate how you arrived at your estimate you will be fine.

Once upon a time the ATO looked at data downloaded, but that is not really possible or relevent anymore.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks. I think that's probably as good as any way to do it.

It seems like a fair enough tweak to that method should be to use a typical personal use day as 16 hours instead of 24 hours (assume that there's 8 hours of sleep time that is regarded as no usage).

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

As long as you can explain how you arrived at that % you should be ok.

By the way my internet never stops overnight, updates, recorded tv shows from fetch internet channels etc.....Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @HomeWorkingMan,

Thanks for getting in touch!

You've been provided some helpful information - we've answered a similar question about calculating internet usage data on our Community before. You can find information provided in the link here.

Thanks, JodieH.