Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: Can I claim WWC and First aid certificates

Enthusiast

Views 4497

Replies 7

I must pay for my own working with children check and my first aid course can I claim them in my tax return.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi Kazzabru02,

Thanks for your question.

The information on self-education expenses advises additional information as well as the information that  @macfanboy provided.

Thanks

KylieS

7 REPLIES 7

Taxicorn

Replies 5

Working with children RENEWAL can be claimed but not the initial one to get the job.

The First aid course can be claimed if you are the designated first aider at work or it is a requirement for employment.

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Thanks for the information, it looks like I claimed under the wrong heading and it was rejected but I have the correct information now so I will claim it next year.

Initiate

Replies 3

If having a WWC check is only recommended by the employer (and not mandated), would it be deductible at any time (first time or renewal).

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Cooee,

There are specific rules for Working With Children checks:

You can claim a deduction for the cost of a working with children check application you paid for as an employee, if you are:

• an existing employee and need to have a suitability notice to continue to earn assessable income in your position
  • a new employee and recently earned assessable income from being continuously employed in the child-related employment field.

Note the bolded word. To claim a deduction for a Working With Children check, you must need the check to earn your income.

If it is an 'optional' or 'recommended' item but is not necessary, then it will not be an allowable deduction.

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi,

If the cost is borne by the employer, will it be deductible to the employer?

thanks

Jessica

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JessicaOn,

An employer maybe able to claim the cost of WWC and First aid certificates under "other expenses" in the tax return. You can find information on the this topic in the ATO website under Claiming a tax deduction for other operating expenses.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi Kazzabru02,

Thanks for your question.

The information on self-education expenses advises additional information as well as the information that  @macfanboy provided.

Thanks

KylieS