Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Can I claim back some of the student fees I've paid on my tax return

I'm new

Views 96

Replies 1

I am an international student studying a masters and was wondering if I could claim back some of the fees I have to pay for the course in my tax return applciation? I'm studying teaching, where I do some work as a Education Assistant (in schools).

Any support would be great

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

If you currently have a job as a teacher and you are getting a masters (in teaching) - then it's arguable that you can treat the cost as a "self education expense" (see here) - however this does not appear to be the case for you

If you are only doing a masters (without any connection to an existing job or employment) and working as an education assistant is part of the course it is difficult to see how you would get a deduction for this.

A deduction is not available for self education expenditure if it relates to earning income in the future.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

If you currently have a job as a teacher and you are getting a masters (in teaching) - then it's arguable that you can treat the cost as a "self education expense" (see here) - however this does not appear to be the case for you

If you are only doing a masters (without any connection to an existing job or employment) and working as an education assistant is part of the course it is difficult to see how you would get a deduction for this.

A deduction is not available for self education expenditure if it relates to earning income in the future.