• 169 Online
  • 17840 Members
  • 19785 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Can I claim expenses relating to renting out a room prior to selling the house

Ask a question

Initiate

Views 124

Replies 1

I have been renting out a room in my house for several years. The tenant moved out late March last year and since then I have undertaken repairs partially related to the wear and tear caused by the tenants, including:

- internal painting, and

- sanding and repolishing of the wooden flooring.

According to the ATO NAT 1729-06.2017: "If you no longer rent the property, the cost of repairs may still be deductible provided: the need for the repairs is related to the period in which the property was used by you to produce income, and the property was income-producing during the income year in which you incurred the cost of repairs."

My problem is that I had trouble getting a painter until July 2018 so by the rules I cannot claim it as deductible. 

However, can I claim the expenses towards the cost base for capital gains purposes?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @alchemy_in_oz,

Sorry for the delay with a response to this query - we've provided an answer on your other post about Can I claim rubbish removal costs to reduce my house cost base.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @alchemy_in_oz,

Sorry for the delay with a response to this query - we've provided an answer on your other post about Can I claim rubbish removal costs to reduce my house cost base.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors