Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Can I claim kilometres for transporting clients

Views 132

Replies 2

I work in disabilities and transport clients around when working in my private vechile. I wanted to confirm claiming kilometres is ok ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @WilliamGee,

If you use your own car for itinerant work (as many support workers do), you can claim a deduction.

You can claim this using either the cents per kilometre method, or the logbook method and depreciation. Keep in mind that the cents per kilometre method accounts for depreciation already, so you can't claim depreciation separately if you claim using this method.

You can read about what makes itinerant work on our website.

2 REPLIES 2

Enthusiast

Replies 0

You can't claim a deduction for normal trips between your home and work as they are classed as  private expenses. However you may be able to claim for trips to and from an alternate workplace for the same employer on the same day – for example, driving directly between client visits. 

Id suggest looking at the Community workers and direct carers - income and work-related deductions's page for further information on the matter

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @WilliamGee,

If you use your own car for itinerant work (as many support workers do), you can claim a deduction.

You can claim this using either the cents per kilometre method, or the logbook method and depreciation. Keep in mind that the cents per kilometre method accounts for depreciation already, so you can't claim depreciation separately if you claim using this method.

You can read about what makes itinerant work on our website.