Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Can I claim travel to do paid work at home?

Views 148

Replies 3

I’m a support worker who travels a bit for work. I am wondering if I am able to claim travel from a clients house to my home. I am expected to do the necessary paperwork and reports following every shift at my house as I am unable to do it at my client's homes. The work I do at home is paid for and documented in my pay slips and time sheets. This travel is not reimbursed by my company. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @nicole_p 

Sorry if I confused you Smiley Sad

Deductions are self assessed, but it sounds to me like you should be eligible to claim the expenses due to your shifting places of work.

Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @nicole_p

Employees can claim travel to or from home in limited circumstances, but It really depends on where your usual place of work is located and if the travel is essential for your work.  

If your home is your usual place of work and your job requires you to travel to a clients home and back again, you can claim the expenses.

If the travel to or from a clients home to yours is simply for convenience, it will be conidered private travel which you cant claim.

These are just examples, but there is more info on our website that should help.

Smiley Happy

Replies 1

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply. The work is considered essential. I am legally required to do shift reports but due to my client's needs and behaviours, I am physically unable to complete work at their homes. My work has requested that these reports are to be done at home at the end of my shift. My usual place of work is my clients homes but five days out of a six day work week, I am required to go home and complete paperwork after work.

I used the MyTax online chat earlier today and was told that this travel is claimable. So now I'm a little confused on whether it is? 

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @nicole_p 

Sorry if I confused you Smiley Sad

Deductions are self assessed, but it sounds to me like you should be eligible to claim the expenses due to your shifting places of work.

Smiley Happy