Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Capital Gains & Losses on shares

Highlighted

Views 217

Replies 1

Hi

This is probs a dumb question but its annoying the **bleep** out of me. It relates to what amounts are shown at which labels in the Capital Gains Capital Losses page of MyTax. 

I need to amend 18/19 return to add in a capital gain of $1,400 on sale of shares. thats easy. Total current year capital gains +$1400.

I had a net capital Loss c/f to later income years of $9,700. (this amount incs current yr capital losses of $6,700+ capital losses b/f from prevous yrs of $3,000)

Is the amount entered at the "Net Capital Loss c/f to later years" the "net" of the current year capital gains of 1,400 less the $9,700 losses ie $8,300 OR

is it just the total losses amount of $9,700? & then the system does the calculation ie ie $1,400 Cap Gain less $9,700 = $8,300 .

Guidance/advice much appreciated thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Nabarb,

Thank you for your enquiry. When reporting capital gains and losses you will report the total capital gain for the financial year at Total capital gains box. If you had a loss to apply then you will apply the loss... $9700 - $1400 = $8300. Therefore you will report 0 at NET capital gain. At net capital loss carried forward you would report $8300.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Regards,

Jodie2.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Nabarb,

Thank you for your enquiry. When reporting capital gains and losses you will report the total capital gain for the financial year at Total capital gains box. If you had a loss to apply then you will apply the loss... $9700 - $1400 = $8300. Therefore you will report 0 at NET capital gain. At net capital loss carried forward you would report $8300.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Regards,

Jodie2.