Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Career Advice

Highlighted

Views 623

Replies 3

Hi, have a general question on becoming a tax agent.

I am a mid 40's qualified management accountant working in the Finance Industry. I am thinking seriously about changing career track and becoming a qualified tax agent for a better work life balance / more rewarding working life. (Safe to say I don't enjoy the corporate life).  I realise I will have to start at the bottom again and update my technical knowledge. My concern is around gaining the practical experience to qualify as a tax agent.  I would like to get a realistic appraisal of my chances of convincing a tax practice to take me for a couple of years given my age and inexperience (in tax)?   Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi there,

What you seem to be after is pursuing the option of becoming a business owner/Self-employed. It's a rewarding path but definitely not easier or better for work-life balance, at least not for the first few years. 

Consider looking into businesses or consulting based on the skills you already have, if you've never done tax returns how do you know that's what you want to be doing?

To give you better advice I'd need to know more about your skills, interests and just more in general.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 2

If you have zero experience with income tax then I can't see why anybody would hire you to be honest.

You need to be degree certified to become a Tax Agent, you can not become one through 'experience'.

https://www.tpb.gov.au/register-individual-tax-agent

I'm not sure why you think that this may be an easy work life, believe you me come tax season and a lot of people demanding more money in their returns with little understanding of why I can't just 'give' it to them it is not such an easy life...Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks for the reply...  all good points...  I did read the requirements. I am degree qualified. What I will need is two years practical experience to get the accreditation... from there I can do my own thing or buy into / out  an exisitng practice.   Point taken on the stresses of the job - grass is always greener I guess.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi there,

What you seem to be after is pursuing the option of becoming a business owner/Self-employed. It's a rewarding path but definitely not easier or better for work-life balance, at least not for the first few years. 

Consider looking into businesses or consulting based on the skills you already have, if you've never done tax returns how do you know that's what you want to be doing?

To give you better advice I'd need to know more about your skills, interests and just more in general.