ATO Community

Casual employee meal allowance

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 1071

Replies 2

I work as casual employee. I travel for work and ovetnight intersate. My work pays for my accommodation. I receive nothing for meals. I get paid a daily flat rate. There are no allowances on my payment summary. Can I claim meal expenditure?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @SS23,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Generally speaking, if you're travelling for work and your employer is paying for the accommodation, you may be able to claim expenses for meals and incidental expenses in your tax return if you've paid the expense yourself and do not get reimbursed. You'll need to keep written evidence (receipts) to verify your claim.

You can find more information about deductions you can claim and for specific industries and occupations on our website, or alternatively, if you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

When Travelling overnight keep all receipts for any food purchased and you should be able to claim it back.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @SS23,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Generally speaking, if you're travelling for work and your employer is paying for the accommodation, you may be able to claim expenses for meals and incidental expenses in your tax return if you've paid the expense yourself and do not get reimbursed. You'll need to keep written evidence (receipts) to verify your claim.

You can find more information about deductions you can claim and for specific industries and occupations on our website, or alternatively, if you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

Top Solution Authors