Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Claiming study as a tax deduction

Views 436

Replies 2

Hi all, I'm unsure if I'm able to claim my recent study as a tax deduction, and if it qualifies as being directly related to my field of employment. In August 2019 (whilst working as a florist) I applied for a traineeship in the financial sector. To aid my application I began online tertiary study in the area of finance. The course ran from Aug - Nov 2019 during which I continued to work fulltime as a florist. I subsquently was successful in obtaining place in the traineeship in June 2020. Could I claim my financial studies, as I now work in this field, when at the time I undertook the studies I was working in an unrelated field (floristry)? Fees were initially paid via FEE-HELP, the full cost of the course has been paid back as direct deductions from my salary. Thank you in advance for helping.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

and reduction of tax on that employment @Kate-Anne 

No, you can not as they happened at a 'point too soon'.

At the time of the expense, there was no direct link to your current employment and therefore any reduction of tax on that employment due to studying an unrelated subject can not be claimed.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

and reduction of tax on that employment @Kate-Anne 

No, you can not as they happened at a 'point too soon'.

At the time of the expense, there was no direct link to your current employment and therefore any reduction of tax on that employment due to studying an unrelated subject can not be claimed.

Replies 0

I had a feeling that may be the case. Thank you so much for your prompt reply, massive help!