Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Confused...

Initiate

Views 282

Replies 10

So I've just checked the progress of my current tax return and I have found something about "income tax 551". When I further investigated there are 3 dates with amounts that leave me with more questions than answers. So the 1st date is 07/07 - 15/07 with a credit of $2489 stating tax return individuals, then the same dates are shown but the credit amount is now $0 stating cancellation of tax return individuals then it shows the dates 09/07 - 22/11 stating tax return individuals with a debit of $391... I'm utterly baffled as there is literally no way that I could have ended up with an almost $3000 tax debt... Please help? Lol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 9

Hi @LadyKay,

If you have lodged your return and it's being processed, we would advise you not to concern yourself with amounts or the stages it's going through. This is a normal process and amounts shown may not be accurate. Once your notice of assessment (NOA) issues you will know the outcome of your return. Thereafter if you still have concerns, you could contact us to discuss it.

Meanwhile you can view progress of return via this link.

All the best.

10 REPLIES 10

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 9

Hi @LadyKay,

If you have lodged your return and it's being processed, we would advise you not to concern yourself with amounts or the stages it's going through. This is a normal process and amounts shown may not be accurate. Once your notice of assessment (NOA) issues you will know the outcome of your return. Thereafter if you still have concerns, you could contact us to discuss it.

Meanwhile you can view progress of return via this link.

All the best.

Initiate

Replies 7

It's now saying finalised and it's still saying the exact same thing. There's not even any explanation as to where it's all gone or why I even owe the money I do. I have lost 3 jobs thanks to Covid lockdowns here in Melbourne over the last financial year, we've just been placed under yet another one and now this. I'm done with life hey. There's absolutely no point. Thanks ATO, all I needed was that final blow to push me off the edge completely. Good luck getting anymore money out of a corpse 👍

Community Moderator

Replies 6

Hi @LadyKay,

I understand watching the progress of your return is confusing. Have you received the notice of assessment yet? When it says debt on-line it may mean that the amount has been debited from your ATO account so it can be credited into your bank account. I can't guarantee it without seeing your account but that's what it sounds like. The return has not finished processing until the NOA has issued.

Initiate

Replies 5

Why do you think I'm so upset for? I have my NOA. The details I have shared in my initial question are indeed correct. Thanks to stage 4 coronavirus lockdown here in Melbourne last year and my income being made up of my earnings from work when I was able to work after restrictions were lifted, jobseeker payment during the months that I couldn't work (I work in hospitality) and the Covid supplement payment. Turns out that I earned just over enough for the financial year to have to pay the almost $1000 Medicare levy, not enough to receive the full tax offset, apparently also enough for a significant amount to be put towards my higher learning loan and at the end of it all I've been left with a bill... We've just gone back into lockdown here in Melbourne and after the last one which was barely 2 months ago,  where I had no income from work and no income from Centrelink which left me unable to pay rent and bills and even feed myself in the end, I'm still playing catch up with my financial situation and was really, really counting on using my tax return to at the very least get myself back into the black. Instead, now I'm going to be falling even further into the red with no idea whatsoever for how I'm going to be keep me lease paid, my lights on, my water running and at the very least some goddamn Vegemite toast for my belly. I'm so so scared of where I'm going to end up now. If the lockdown lasts longer than 5 days here in Victoria I believe that I'll lose my home by October. I feel physically ill I'm that scared. There's nothing I can do about it. It is what it is.

Initiate

Replies 0

And yes I have already called the ATO to get help understanding just what exactly my NOA means. What's the old adage? If it looks like it and smells like it, you can be sure that is what it is.

Community Manager

Replies 3

Hi @LadyKay 

It sounds like you’re in a tough spot and have been going through quite a difficult time. With everything that’s happening at the moment, let me reassure you that you have lots of support options and we can absolutely help.

While you may have ended up with a debt with us we don’t expect you to pay it straight away. We have options like payment plans available to help you work it around your other expenses.

I can see you’re quite worried about your finances. To help you get through the lockdown there’s some help available through:
Disaster relief payments
Early release of superannuation (financial hardship)

Of course if you need more support, please reach out to Lifeline.

Initiate

Replies 2

I knew something had gone terribly wrong at some point of the process and so spent almost 7hours last night following up on every little detail and then following the bread crumb trail from there and I actually have figured what has happened... 

When I started my current job just before the big lockdown last year my employer was pretty distracted by everything and it wasn't till I'd gotten home at the end of the second shift which was also the last one until we reopened at the end of October that she rang me to get my bank details and TFN and Super details as she'd forgotten to do it all while I was still there. So I never filled out the TFN declaration form. Which is when you get to tick yes on the box to claim the tax free threshold... Tah Dah. 🙄 

So now that I've been able to pinpoint what exactly has gone wrong, I have a new question which is am I able to resubmit my tax return WITH the TFN declaration form properly filled out this time...?

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hey @LadyKay 

That’s quite a bread crumb trail you’ve followed!

If you think your employer has made a mistake, you can lodge an amendment to your tax return. It’s all done really easily online.

You may want to chat to your employer to make sure they update those details in our systems to get it all corrected.

Let us know how you go.

Initiate

Replies 0

Ok cool that's good to hear that it's not a big hassle to get sorted. Yeah I must admit that I'm quite bleary-eyed this morning but it was worth it lol 

I will definitely update you on how I go Cheers hey 😊 ✌️