Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Definition of spouse (de facto) for MLS purposes

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 720

Replies 3

I'm seeking clarification of the following definition of a spouse for Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS) purposes:

"Your spouse includes another person (of any **bleep**) who although not legally married to, lived with you on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple."

Source: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/medicare-levy/medicare-levy-surcharge/family-and-dependants-for-m...

Are there any minimum requirements regarding the length of time you and your partner have lived together before the ATO considers them your spouse for MLS purposes?

Are there any additional factors the ATO considers before concluding someone is your spouse for MLS purposes?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@ZC1 

No, If they were with you on June 30 then they are considered to be a spouse.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@ZC1 

No, If they were with you on June 30 then they are considered to be a spouse.

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 0

Too easy - Thank you! @macfanboy 

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ZC1,

Thanks for getting in touch!

@macfanboy is correct - there's no set time frame for how long you've lived together. You can find the definition of a spouse on our website and further information about reporting Spouse details and your tax return.

Thanks, JodieH.