Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Do old tax rules apply to late tax returns

Initiate

Views 115

Replies 1

Somebody mentioned to me on the weekend that they hadn't submitted about 5 years of personal tax returns. They would be in a refund position for each year so no debt would be owed to the ATO. 

This morning I read that the government is offering a $1080 rebate for this tax year and it made me wonder if this person didn't submit their tax return this year, would they miss out on that rebate? 

In other words, do rules and incentives from past years still get applied to that year's tax return or do you miss out if you don't submit by the October deadline?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @lmorris

Whatever rules apply for the tax year the lodgment is regarding have those rules applied.

This means even if a lodgment is submitted late, the rules from that time apply to that lodgment, even if the laws or rules have since changed for later income tax years.

You can read about the low and middle income earners tax offset (the maximum of $1,080 offset you refer to) on our website.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @lmorris

Whatever rules apply for the tax year the lodgment is regarding have those rules applied.

This means even if a lodgment is submitted late, the rules from that time apply to that lodgment, even if the laws or rules have since changed for later income tax years.

You can read about the low and middle income earners tax offset (the maximum of $1,080 offset you refer to) on our website.