Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Electric Vehicle - Operating Method

Views 250

Replies 1

Under the log book method, a claim can be made for the business portion of fuel and oil costs (either based on actual receipts or odometer estimates).

Hi Community Team

Relating specifically to electric vehicles that need to be charged by an external source:

• Does the ATO recognise the deductibility of home electricity as a “fuel” when using the log book method? (references preferred); and if yes
  • Does the ATO have a preferred approach to the calculation basis?

Most EV providers have hard data to enable a scientific calculation method for each model of EV vehicle. This data on the vehicle can easily be coupled with usage data from average home electricity provider bills. As a result, each calculation would be more science than art, but both as useless if the ATO doesn’t officially recognise this as a valid motor vehicle expense at all.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JeanRoge,

I've looked into this for you, and although I was unable to locate a specific ATO page regarding how to calculate the operating methods for electric vehicles, I have located a forum post that answers a similar question.

If the information in the below link doesn't help, then it would be worthwhile to seek tailored assistance from our early engagement team Smiley Happy

Claiming electric car costs

Early Engagement

RachATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JeanRoge,

I've looked into this for you, and although I was unable to locate a specific ATO page regarding how to calculate the operating methods for electric vehicles, I have located a forum post that answers a similar question.

If the information in the below link doesn't help, then it would be worthwhile to seek tailored assistance from our early engagement team Smiley Happy

Claiming electric car costs

Early Engagement

RachATO