Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: How do I find out if I am claiming the Tax Free Threshold?

Views 55

Replies 1

I have just started a second job. I have held my first job for the past 7.5 years, and I cannot remember whether I am claiming the Tax Free Threshold for it. I've looked through all my tax documents and at my information on MyGov but I can't see anything anywhere that mentions whether or not I'm claiming the Tax Free Threshold. How do I find out if I am? As if I am not I would like to start claiming it for this second job, but don't want to accidentally be claiming it for both jobs and get in trouble. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cleoambre

Check with your employer. They should be able to confirm your tax file number declaration details.They use what you advised originally to calculate tax withholding.

Failing that just resubmit to your employer what you want. Remember you should only claim this preferably from one employer. No one likes a tax debt if insufficient withholding was made through out the year.  All that said though it should balance out come tax time. Claiming the Tax free threshold offers greater take home pay in the short term.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @cleoambre

Check with your employer. They should be able to confirm your tax file number declaration details.They use what you advised originally to calculate tax withholding.

Failing that just resubmit to your employer what you want. Remember you should only claim this preferably from one employer. No one likes a tax debt if insufficient withholding was made through out the year.  All that said though it should balance out come tax time. Claiming the Tax free threshold offers greater take home pay in the short term.