Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Incorrect visa status MyGov - Superannuation withdraw

Views 92

Replies 1

Hi,

I was WH from March 2020 to June 2020, then I changed to a Student Visa because I started a Master in August 2020. Therefore, I held a student visa from June 16th 2020 till now. I am leaving the country next month and I want to withdraw my superannuation. I have observed filling my tax return for this financial year that my MyGov account states that according to their records I’m on a WHV which is not correct (I already modified my tax return to fix this).

I started working when I was holding the Student Visa so all the contributions I made to my superannuation were made when I already had a Student Visa. However, the myGov account states that I am on a WHV. I just wonder how can I fix that because if my understanding is correct, a tax rate is applied when I withdraw my super and this tax rate depends on the visa (65% for WHV and 35% for Student Visa). Therefore, I want to know if there is a way to clarify this to avoid problems when I will withdraw my super.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Alexds

After processing your current year tax return MyGov should update with the newly lodged information on you. As long as no contributions were made to your superfund while you were on the WHM visa the correct tax rate should apply. This isn't purely based on what MyGov says, and superfunds check when contributions were made and under what visa. I recommend waiting for your tax return to be processed to ensure we have received the up to date information before submitting your dasp application.

We have a page on our website that runs through the WHV Dasp tax rates. There's a couple of sections I recommend looking at, these are the rates applicable to WHM visas, and what to do if overtaxed.

Let us know if you have any questions. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Alexds

After processing your current year tax return MyGov should update with the newly lodged information on you. As long as no contributions were made to your superfund while you were on the WHM visa the correct tax rate should apply. This isn't purely based on what MyGov says, and superfunds check when contributions were made and under what visa. I recommend waiting for your tax return to be processed to ensure we have received the up to date information before submitting your dasp application.

We have a page on our website that runs through the WHV Dasp tax rates. There's a couple of sections I recommend looking at, these are the rates applicable to WHM visas, and what to do if overtaxed.

Let us know if you have any questions.