• 27597 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Kiwi returned to NZ but still employed by Australian business

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 109

Replies 1

Hi,

I am an NZ citizen that moved to Sydney to 12 years ago to work full time for an Australian business. For various personal reasons, my wife, child, and I have moved back to NZ.

Thankfully my job allows me to basically work from anywhere and as such, since Feb 2019 I am now permanently living in NZ but I am still fully employed with the Australian business. I will have no NZ income.

Under NZ IRD tax laws, I am an NZ tax resident, because I am an NZ citizen now permanently living in NZ. Under AU resided laws, I'm NOT a tax resident... except I will continue to be an Australian employee, paying Australian tax, and money going into my Australian super.

From my various discussions in NZ and Australia, I'm a special little situation that no one appears to know what to do. It's all so confusing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need to do? As I'm already over here in NZ, I cannot call any of the 1300 ATO phone numbers and I cannot find any normal +61 numbers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GTRoberts,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're not considered a resident of Australia for tax purposes but you're receiving income from an Australian source, you'll be required to report this income in an Australian tax return. You can find information about foreign income on our website.

If you'd like to phone us to discuss your situation you can phone or Skype us on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am - 5pm Monday to Friday (AEST) and let the operator know you're calling from overseas to request a call back. You'll need to answer some security questions for the customer service representative to access your account, so have some additional information when you when you call.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GTRoberts,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're not considered a resident of Australia for tax purposes but you're receiving income from an Australian source, you'll be required to report this income in an Australian tax return. You can find information about foreign income on our website.

If you'd like to phone us to discuss your situation you can phone or Skype us on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am - 5pm Monday to Friday (AEST) and let the operator know you're calling from overseas to request a call back. You'll need to answer some security questions for the customer service representative to access your account, so have some additional information when you when you call.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors