• 23309 Members
  • 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Lodging a return for children

Ask a question

Views 1721

Replies 3

Hello, 

I am looking to lodge a tax return on behalf of my children via myTax. How do I get started when they do not have an email address or phone number? I cannot seem to find where I can add another TFN under my own myGov account. 

Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Megastar

Replies 1

Hi @Elsymo

Welcome to ATO Community.

We reccomend using the 'Do I need to lodge tool' as suggested by @macfanboy, however you won't be able to add another TFN under your myGov account.

If your children need to lodge, they'll need thier own myGov account linked to the ATO, and this will require a seperate email address. Basically each myGov account must have an individual email address linked to it, and this email address cannot be shared by another myGov account (this is for both security and username recovery reasons).

We hope this helps,

Michael.

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 0

First of do you know if they have to lodge one?

Use this calculator tool:  https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Host/?anchor=DINTL&anchor=DINTL/questions#DINTL/questio...

Second of all you can use your phone number and email address, it is just a means to contact you if required.

Highlighted

Best answer

Megastar

Replies 1

Hi @Elsymo

Welcome to ATO Community.

We reccomend using the 'Do I need to lodge tool' as suggested by @macfanboy, however you won't be able to add another TFN under your myGov account.

If your children need to lodge, they'll need thier own myGov account linked to the ATO, and this will require a seperate email address. Basically each myGov account must have an individual email address linked to it, and this email address cannot be shared by another myGov account (this is for both security and username recovery reasons).

We hope this helps,

Michael.

Replies 0

After many failed attempts and three calls to the ATO, I have since found out that I need to lodge a paper return. Unable to find it online, the ATO is sending me copies via snail mail. Surely this will change soon!

Top Solution Authors