• 26888 Posts

ATO Community

Moved to New Zealand

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 38

Replies 1

Hey All

My wife and I moved to New Zealand and started working here in March this year. As we intend to stay over 2 years, I have determined that we are now Foreign Residents for tax purposes in Australia.

The tricky part is New Zealand's financial year is April 1 to March 31 each year, overlapping with Australia's. I'm wanting to close out our tax return for 2018/2019 in Australia, but I'm confused as to whether or not I need to put in my New Zealand earned income from after March 31 or whether I would need to show my NZ income for the whole FY? And if so, I assume that I can offset the tax I have paid here to make sure I'm not being double taxed, correct?

Thanks for any advice!

--UPDATE--

After a bit more research, and a bit of help on Mygov, it turns out that you don't put foreign income down that you have earned when a foreign tax resident.

Still had to report worldwide income for my HELP repayments though... ouch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kizzalenko,

Welcome to our Community!

When you are completing your return here in Australia you would include any income earned during the whole financial year.

We have an Income Tax Treaty with New Zealand so you wouldn't be double taxed on your income earned over there due to the foreign income tax offset.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kizzalenko,

Welcome to our Community!

When you are completing your return here in Australia you would include any income earned during the whole financial year.

We have an Income Tax Treaty with New Zealand so you wouldn't be double taxed on your income earned over there due to the foreign income tax offset.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks, NateH

Top Solution Authors